11.26.2008

pumpkin pancakes for jack?

With all of these gifts, you'd think it was just days before Christmas, not Thanksgiving! Still quite appropriate though - the following moments put things in perspective and set the stage for a holiday to be thankful.

When I was in single digits and making cookie monsters (like the famed dessert from Cheddars), roller skating and skiing with my friend Laura, I knew we'd grow up - but WOW! Not only did we grow up and remain wonderful friends, but I actually got to experience holding her son, Jack. Oh the stories I have for this little man when he's ready to listen. Who bets that I pour his first cocktail?

Laura and Kevin welcomed Jack into the world on November 14... it was nearly 10 days before I could get there, but well worth the wait! Now he just needs to meet Uncle Toddy. He too will have many Momma Laura stories for Jack in time.

Jamie loves baby Jack... and that blanket!


A well-timed doctor appointment called for the trip to Columbus... determination got me there early enough to spend the afternoon with Laura and Jack (later with Cheryl, Sandy and two feather coated doggies).

That night, Sue stopped by my parents to visit and deliver Todd's birthday gift. They've been holding onto it at home and I've been dying keeping yet another secret. I love my moms.

Another lovely task - stopping for my annual snow tire install - brought me another reason to be thankful. Really, you could justify being thankful for having anywhere to sit except for the lobby at Discount Tire; however, spending an hour or so with two Nutter knockouts was phenomenal!

I'll admit it - I had previously teased dear Patty for her visits to Mimi's Cafe. I don't think I was criticizing the restaurant - she just insists on calling it Mama Mimis (the pizza place!). I sit and type "corrected" because I love the place. I seem to always have these adventurous seasonal breakfast concotions they dream up and they are wonderful. Jen had the pumpkin pancakes - ooh la la! Kathy (the one with the hot glasses below) rescued me from the tire shop and whisked me away to a yummy brunch with her gorgeous daughter. I can't even begin to describe how much I love these two - their entire family, really, but the boys weren't cool enough to join us. As I got the (all too) condensed download of the first 10 weeks of college, I was reminded of a few things: I miss Jennifer Nutter big time, my cousin Kathy has great genes (in addition to those glasses) and that I am 11 years older than Jen. When I turned 18, I had just met Todd - whew - feeling old.

I love this girl and desperately hope she can road-trip it up to Cleveland for at least a day this month before she returns to sunny Georgia. It's easier to pretend I'm her age now that I can't hold her like a baby. When I turned 26, she came to my roller-skating birthday party with a self-crafted "I LOVE JAMIE - HAPPY BIRTHDAY" polo shirt. I'm pretty sure I said I loved her already and I'm also sure I just mentioned roller-skating twice in the same entry. hmmmm...


Mama Kathy... me loves her too :)


Jen returned me to the palace o' tires and my car was ready for snow! Little did I know that I would have the joy of a 4-hour drive back home in terrible weather - only 2.5 hours extra! Still, very worth it.

I finally arrived home and delivered the last 30th birthday gift to the very adored Todd. A Dad-selected and approved wood pool cue just for him. In case you missed it, we have a pool table in our front room now!


I had to return for one day in the office before the actual Thanksgiving festivities commenced. Even though Thanksgiving hadn't yet arrived - I went to bed that Tuesday night feeling thankful not only for having these wonderful people in my life, but for the opportunity to enjoy spending time WITH them.

maybe jack will invite me to brunch someday,
jamie.

No comments: