September 11, 2001... that date marks a monumental event in our country's history. It was also the day that Todd and I were headed to Disneyworld for my college graduation trip. We heard about the first plane crash as my Dad dropped us off at the airport that day - a very long day later, we were back at my parents' house in shock (like the rest of the nation) and our trip was not going to happen.
Eight years later (almost to the day), we planned another trip to see Mickey... I wasn't sure if I should put National Security on notice. We spent nearly 14 hours at Epcot the first day. Todd was attacked by my new Figment as we waited until dark for the fireworks. My Dad bought me a Figment back in 87' - he's still cherished, but I know I'm not willing to share him with any future members of the household.
We headed to the Animal Kingdom on Day 2... I loved the aviary displays - gorgeous birds were everywhere! I laughed several times thinking that my co-worker Sarah would have cowered in the corner convinced that the birds were going to attack.
Their new ride, Expedition Everest, was incredible... like at Epcot, we recognized how wasteful the massive air-conditioned buildings housing the queue must be, but thorougly enjoyed them! The buildings and design that surround each ride is stupifying - these imagineers continue to outdo themselves. The Kilimanjaro Safari seemed to be our favorite - the point and shoot does a great job when the animals are right next to you!
Hollywood Studios was Day 3... the stunt shows and new rides were great, but it was tough to compete with our lunch companions. The scraps from my pretzel dog attracted some billed friends. I'm sure people thought I was crazy - to that, I say "who's the one cheering for the traveling High School Musical float" - lunatics.
Last day... Magic Kingdom. I'm surprised our legs still functioned.
I know it wasn't Mr. Jude Thayer, but some little one was out and about near the Thunder Mountain Railroad!
My "30 year-old" kid wanted to drive the boats... I think you can hear a guy in the background asking his wife if she had any quarters. Once I stopped recording, he asked her again and then realized the boats took dollar tokens. It's not the 80's anymore - classic.
We opted for our photo in front of the castle at the end of the day - probably not the best choice for [personal] aesthetics.
My first return visit since the day back in the 80's when the Laura/Jamie duo... To Laura's point, the next trip may be with the Laura/Jamie families. We'll see - I'd like that for sure.
seriously though, how many kids does each couple need?!?
jamie.

No comments:
Post a Comment