8.29.2008

is that a banana pepper on your deck...

or are you just happy to see me?

The past few months have meant big changes for the Musacc's backyard... once the men of the family constructed our splendid deck, we had to find a way to use the space. One of my birthday presents from Todd was an EarthBox - well, I don't know that I've ever successfully grown or kept a plant alive, ever. So, while I loved the "idea" - I certainly hoped Todd wouldn't be disappointed when his wife was the "first ever to kill a plant via EarthBox" - it is supposedly fool proof. Well, I can't speak to the fool-proof part, but it:

1. comes with step-by-step directions (I follow directions very well)
2. does not need frequent watering

Two very key points to me successfully growing anything, apparently. I wanted to try something other than flowers and most know we don't spend too much time in the produce section. One vegetable (er,fruit) that passes the test is the banana pepper... and the spicy spicy chili. Both of which, as you can see, are thriving! These photos were taken just after we were gone for a week in NC...



Other than that, we like Italian food and cocktails - so we have oregano and mint. I guess mint will thrive anywhere, so it will never make the EarthBox billing again - it's unruly. I better go make a pitcher of mojitos.

I wanted to capture how great the deck ensemble is coming along... Todd walked right into the photo, but I guess he is a big part of what makes it enjoyable :) We have some staining to do for sure - but I love it! Really, he was just standing back to admire the new fountain.


This fountain is perfect - it has a very light sound and the top sparkles in the sun. Todd is amazing (he found it).


On this one, I had some help (no EarthBox)... Doug really just smacked me around and told me to just "plant the damn bulbs" that Todd bought. So, once I finally got over the lack of directions - I planted them and managed to keep them alive so that they could bloom! Todd had ordered hundreds of random bulbs - I can't believe that these ended up being my absolute favorite color of orange. Hummingbirds have been visiting them lately - even when we're sitting close by. Did I mention that we love the deck?



I thought I hated zinnias, but I loved this flower and bought it immediately. There were two plants originally - one made it, one didn't - but still, check this out! So gorgeous - they are still that pretty now. I'm hooked. I guess that the Magellan zinnia is new (who sits around and creates flowers anyway?) - that person gets a drink from 237 (if they stop over) for sure.



To keep everything safe in our absence, I hired this gnome. Doesn't he just look trustworthy? For those that are suprised we own a gnome, I direct you to two of my favorite movies: Threesome and Amelie. Other than reflecting my diverse taste in film, they both have Gnomes discreetly woven into the storyline. Todd bought this for me at the Cleveland Home and Garden Show last winter. Classic.


He also served as a referee for the cornhole tourney the boys held last weekend (Clay, Aaron and Todd). I heard something about Clay mopping up the floor with the other guys, but I didn't really pay much attention - I was too busy baking brownies and playing Super Mario Galaxy. All I know is that our deck is big enough for a regulation game of cornhole - that has to be intimidating to an inexperienced gnome.

I'm guessing in just a few months, we'll see if I can make a salsa that others will eat or banana pepper rings worthy of a pizza. We have dahlias that are so very ready to bloom - we'll see if they make it!

now with a greenish thumb,
jamie.

No comments: